Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Theater review Momotaro

Sorry I have been lax about posting, I am doing a lot of traveling for work and am at the mercy of both work schedules and hotel WiFi. Prior to leaving on my current adventure into the desert of eastern Oregon I watched a Japanese language production of the fable of Momotaro the peach boy.

In this version of the tale a lonely elderly couple lived by a stream,while the grandmother was washing the laundry she saw something floating by. She fetched it in with a bamboo pole and found that it was a giant peach. She called out to the grandfather who was nearby harvesting grass. He came running with his great knife and was amazed by the peach. They decide to share the peach, however when the old man splits the peach they find, instead of a peach pit, a baby boy.

The old couple takes fine care of their young son and he grows to be a fine athlete and excells in all things. One day a group of oni (ogres) attack the nearby viliage and steal away the princess. Momotaro decides to go to the island of the evil oni and rescue her, and also bring home the legendary riches of the oni.

His parents send him off with the old mans grass knife and a bag of the old womans best dumplings. Along the way Momotaro encounters a dog, a monkey, and a parrot. All of them beg for dumplings and in the end agree to acompany him to the island to fight the oni. They finally reach the island and after a great battle the oni chieftan surrenders and Momotaro returns with the princess and the best treasures of the oni.

This classic fable was excellently performed by my sons kindergarden class. My son was the old grandfather. He really wanted to play the dog, but he soldiered on and gave an excellent performance. The production also included a very nice celebration dance and several singings of the Momotaro song.

Momotarō-san no uta (Momotarō's Song) 桃太郎さんの歌

Momotarō-san, momotarō-san (Momotarō, Momotarō) 桃太郎さん、桃太郎さん

Okoshi ni tsuketa kibidango (Those millet dumplings on your waist) お腰につけたきびだんご

Hitotsu watashi ni kudasai na? (Won't you give me one?) 一つ私に下さいな!

Agemashou, agemashou (I'll give you one, I'll give you one) あげましょう、あげましょう

Ima kara oni no seibatsu ni (From now, on a quest to conquer the ogres) 今から鬼の征伐に

Tsuite kuru nara agemashou (If you come with me, I'll give one to you) ついてくるならあげましょう
Momotarō-san no uta (Momotarō's Song) 桃太郎さんの歌

Momotarō-san, momotarō-san (Momotarō, Momotarō) 桃太郎さん、桃太郎さん

Okoshi ni tsuketa kibidango (Those millet dumplings on your waist) お腰につけたきびだんご

Hitotsu watashi ni kudasai na? (Won't you give me one?) 一つ私に下さいな!

Agemashou, agemashou (I'll give you one, I'll give you one) あげましょう、あげましょう

Ima kara oni no seibatsu ni (From now, on a quest to conquer the ogres) 今から鬼の征伐に

Tsuite kuru nara agemashou (If you come with me, I'll give one to you) ついてくるならあげましょう

4 comments:

BeamStalk said...

I always thought Oni was demon.

Ryk said...

From what I can gather demon, ogre, and goblin can all be called oni.

Kerri Love said...

Does this have anything to do with James and the Giant Peach?

Ryk said...

@Kerri
I don't think so :)