Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Abundance of Eagles

At home I live near a wetlands preserve, we often take walks there and picnic nearby. It is home to several nesting bald eagles, which I see one or two of on a fairly regular basis. I had thought I was blessed to be near such amazing animals, but I have come to realize that what I thought was wealth is just a pittance. I am in Kodiak Alaska today and one of the first sights to greet me were Eagles filling the sky like gulls. Several bald eagles and as many or more golden eagles, circling above the harbor, landing in the trees and on rooftops, I even took a photo of two bald eagles and a golden standing in the road like crows. I was in awe, soon I am going to go back out just to watch them and walk along the bay.

My hotel is right on the water which thrills me, I love the ocean and this is the first time since being in Alaska I have had the opportunity to visit it. Now finally I get to see the North end of my ocean. I have now visited the south in Hawaii the north here in Alaska and many points in between. It makes me feel connected somehow with the ocean that I have loved since I was just little.

Alaska really is a paradise for nature lovers, I have done some hiking already, and soon I will be going to Juneau. My colleagues who have made this trip before said there are many great hikes there, including a glacier all very near the hotel. I will be sure to report about it when I am done.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I soooo wish I could be there!!!